Home / National News
Ex-MISDC Secretary denies CBT involving RM4.58mil
Published on: Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Melaka: A former secretary at the Melaka Industrial Skills Development Centre (MISDC) pleaded not guilty at the Sessions Court here Tuesday to 42 counts of criminal breach of trust (CBT) involving RM4.58 million.

Zamrud Mansor, 76, as the then MISDC Secretary who was entrusted with the centre's fund, was charged with five counts of CBT by depositing RM4.3 million into a bank account belonging to MISDEC Resources Sdn Bhd.

He was also charged with 37 counts of CBT, involving RM286,136.68 of MISDC's fund, by using the money for various purposes, including fee for the setting up of MISDEC, deposit payment for rental of a shop house, insurance coverage, renovation of restaurant, purchase of cooking equipment for the restaurant , installation of air-conditioner and wiring.

His son, Hazizul Zamrud, 44, who is MISDC administrative director, also pleaded not guilty in the same court to 42 counts of abetting his father in committing the alleged offences.

They were alleged to have committed the offences at the MISDC office at Lorong 1, Jalan PBB 6, Batu Berendam Industrial Park here between March 19, 2014 and June 2, 2015. The charges were made under Section 409 of the Penal Code, which provides an imprisonment for up to 20 years, and whipping, and fine, if found guilty.

Deputy public prosecutor from the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), Irwan Shah Abdul Samat, who prosecuted, offered bail at RM500,000 on each of the accused.


ADVERTISEMENT


However, lawyer Azrul Zulkifli Stork, representing Zamrud and Hazizul, requested for a lower bail on grounds that both his clients cooperated with MACC during investigation of the case.

He said Zamrud also had asthma and heart problems, while Hazizul had a wife and two young children to support.

Following which, judge Norma Ismail set bail at RM250,000 on each of the accused and also ordered both of them to report themselves at the MACC office every month. She also set Feb 2 for mention.

Meanwhile in IPOH, , a police inspector, two subordinates and a civilian who were remanded to facilitate a probe into a gang robbery and extortion incident which took place at a house here late last month have been released on police bail.

The six-day remand on the four suspects aged between 20 and 40, from Dec 28 ended Tuesday.


ADVERTISEMENT

Ipoh police chief ACP Mohd Ali Tamby said the investigation papers on the case would be sent to the Perak Police Contingent Headquarters before being referred to the deputy public prosecutor for further instructions.

"Police are still tracking down another policeman and a civilian believed to be involved in the case.

Those with information on both these individuals are requested to report them to the police," he said.

in a statement here today.

The investigation would go on even though the robbery victim had withdrawn the police report made, Mohd Ali said.


ADVERTISEMENT

On Dec 27, a 54-year-old man lodged a police report claiming that six men who had identified themselves as policemen came to his house to allegedly perform a raid before extorting RM12,300 from him.

It was believed that the money was sought in exchange for the victim's arrest over alleged possession of drugs.

On Dec 28, Bernama reported that Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said the policemen had claimed they were merely conducting a raid on the house at Persiaran Rapat Baru 1, Taman Lapangan Permai at about 2am on Dec 27.

"However, they did not write up a report on the raid, which is the standard operating procedure whenever such an operation is conducted. We suspect that they took advantage of the situation to extort and harass the victim," said Noor Rashid. — BERNAMA

Share Via:

Related Story
There's currently no related news
News Categories

Features
Most Read




Follow us on            

Advertisement