Home / National News

Several OCPDS transferred over failure to curb illegal gambling: IGP
Published on: Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Kuala Lumpur: Several district police chiefs were transferred immediately after failing to curb illegal gambling activities in their respective jurisdictions, said Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun.

Without divulging details on the transfer, Mohamad Fuzi said he had also come out with specific instructions to directors of the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM), state and district police chiefs over the matter.

"If I were to conduct raid myself and find that illegal gambling premises are still operating in the districts concerned, actions will be taken immediately.

"The operations to curb illegal gambling are still ongoing and we will not compromise (on the matter).

We hope that this issue will be resolved in the near future," he said after opening the Professional Communications Course at the PDRM College in Cheras here Monday.

Mohamad Fuzi said he would also conduct and take part in such operations in an impromptu manner if need be.


He added that PDRM had set up the hotline and special operations room nationwide for members of the public to lodge report on the presence of gambling activities.

"The hotline is opened not only in Kuala Lumpur but throughout the country including in Bukit Aman (federal police headquarters). However, the response from the public in Kuala Lumpur is lukewarm.

"The issue of illegal gambling is widely discussed in the Klang Valley but the community's involvement in reporting the matter (to the authorities) is less encouraging.

"As such, I urge the public including media practitioners to report on gambling activities to us," he said, adding that the police had only received 173 information related to the issue last week.

Meanwhile, asked to comment on the government's plan to bring back a private jet belonging to fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low, who is currently reported to be in Singapore, Mohamad Fuzi said PDRM had yet to receive any information over the matter.


According to media reports, the private jet was impounded by Singaporean authorities in 2017 and grounded at the Seletar Airport.

It was also reported that the impounded Bombardier Global 5000 aircraft was part of some US$1 billion in assets allegedly acquired with funds misappropriated from 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).

Asked on Jho Low's whereabouts, Mohamad Fuzi said the police had yet to ascertain the billionaire's exact location.

"We continue to receive information on Jho Low but we are not sure where he is.

Some have said that he is in China but the Chinese authorities could not verify (the information) when we contacted them, he said.


Prior to this, an online portal, Sarawak Report, had reported that a radio station in Hong Kong broadcasted a news report of Jho Low's arrest in China. However, the report was not confirmed by any party.

The Immigration Department of Malaysia had cancelled Jho Low's passport on June 15 at the request of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) over their investigation into the 1MDB scandal. – Bernama

Trending Stories



Follow us on            

Advertisement