Home / National News

Najib arrested again; to be charged today over RM2.6bil
Published on: Thursday, September 20, 2018

Kuala Lumpur: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) announced Wednesday the arrest of Datuk Seri Najib Razak after taking him in for questioning at their headquarters in Putrajaya earlier.

The commission also confirmed that the former prime minister is being investigated over a controversial RM2.6 billion donation banked into his personal account, supposedly from a Saudi Arabian royal in 2014.

"The arrest was made at 4.13pm at the MACC Headquarters in Putrajaya.


"Mohd Najib will face several charges under Section 23(1) of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Act 2009 after prosecution permission is obtained from the Attorney-General's Chambers," the MACC said in a statement.

The Commission said Najib will be taken to the Sessions Court here at 3pm Thursday (today).

The commission added that it will be working with the police to record the Pekan MP's testimony into ongoing investigations under the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (AMLATFPUAA) 2001.

Najib, 65, is the first former prime minister in the country to have been indicted in a court of law.

He was first charged in July with three counts of criminal breach of trust and one charge for abuse of power involving some RM42 million allegedly funnelled to his private bank account from former 1MDB subsidiary SRC International Sdn Bhd.


Last month, he was charged again with three counts of money laundering amounting to RM42mil under Section 4 (1)(b) of Anti-Money Laundering Act, Anti-Terrorism Financing Act and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (Amla) 2001.

He pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Sources said he will be held overnight before taken to court on Thursday to face the charges.

It is yet to be known if he will be held for the night at Bukit Aman or at the MACC lock-up.

The MACC said Najib was arrested after the Attorney-General Chambers issued an order to charge him.


Up until last week, Najib denied the funds originated from the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) and continued to insist the RM2.6 billion which he received in his personal bank account was a donation from Saudi Prince Abdul Aziz Al-Saud on behalf of Saudi King Abdullah Abdul Aziz in 2011 and 2012.

He said it was meant for use for the 13th general elections in 2013 and was returned to the royal family four months later.

The defeat of Barisan Nasional in the 14th General Election spelt trouble for Najib when barely a week after the new government took over the administration of the country, investigations on the multi-billion ringgit scandal went full scale.

Dozens of raids were conducted by the police and MACC including at Najib's house, three condominium units at the Pavilion Residences and other premises linked to the scandal.

Police announced that up to RM1.1 billion in cash, jewellery, designer handbags, watches and other luxury items had been seized from Najib's house, the condominium units belonging to his family and a safe house near his official residence in Putrajaya.

Trending Stories



Follow us on            

Advertisement