Published on: Tuesday, February 07, 2012
Kota Kinabalu: Power supply throughout the State and Labuan will not be affected by the fire which occurred at the Melawa Power station in Sepanggar, Monday, according to Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB).
According to its Senior General Manager Ahmad Fuad Kasim, the fire was caused by the canopy generator set that connects power to the grid, resulting in SESB calling the Fire and Rescue Department for assistance in extinguishing the fire.
"Total loss was estimated to be RM100,000 and work is due to be completed within a week," he said.
Meanwhile, a total of 12 Large Power Consumers (LPC) out of 41 companies have been identified to participate in the demand side management especially during peak demand.
Two companies are in Lahad Datu, seven in Sandakan while the remaining three comprise factories which own their own generator sets.
He said LPCs, which participate in the incentive, will not be imposed any connection load charge if their power usage does not exceed the declared load demand for the month.
According to Ahmad, the highest on record during peak demand was 830MW on June 28 last year.