Published on: Tuesday, February 05, 2013
Kota Kinabalu: The Government is prepared to send a suspect wanted by the Philippine government over an alleged investment scheme scam should proper channels under the law be adhered to.
State Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib on Monday said he had received a request from the Philippine government which had to be rejected because it was not in accordance with the procedure laid down under the Mutual Assistance In Criminal Matter Act 2002.
He said according to procedures involved, the request needs to be through the Philippines Attorney General to their Foreign Ministry before they can send it to Malaysia's Foreign Ministry and Attorney General and brought for hearing to determine whether there is a case before the suspect can be sent out.
"Instead of doing that, they sent the request directly to me. It should be noted that Malaysia is a sovereign country. We have laws and regulations to follow and cannot simply send someone out just like that," he said.
The man was reported to be facing prosecution in the Philippines for duping more than 15,000 people of P12billion (about RM919.4 million) in a get-rich-quick scheme last year.
He was reported to have fled to neighbouring Sabah after his arrest was ordered by the Philippine government in November last year only to be picked up by a branch of Interpol in Ranau, recently.