Published on: Sunday, March 03, 2013
"On behalf of the state government and the people of Sabah, I would like to extend our condolences to the families of the commandos who were killed yesterday," he said, after visiting two other police commandos who were injured in the gun battle at the village, about 130km from here on Friday, with the armed intruders claiming to be from the co-called Sulu Sultanate in the Philippines.
The commandos, Cpl Mohd Tarmizi Hashim, 32, and Cpl Azman Ampong, 39, are recovering at the Lahad Datu Hospital. A police constable, Mohamad Qaiyum'aiqal Zolkifli, 22, who is also injured during the gun battle, is currently hospitalised at the Duchess of Kent Hospital in Sandakan.
In the attack by the group against the Malaysian security forces yesterday, two police commandos, Insp Zulkifli Mamat, 29, and Cpl Sabarudin Daud, 32, were killed and three others were injured. Twelve armed intruders were also killed.
The intruders had holed up in the fishermen village since Feb 12.
Musa said apart from the federal government, the state government would also give aid and suitable assistance to the families of the demised and injured commandos.
He said he would also visit Mohamad Qaiyum'aiqal today.
Commenting on the incident, Musa said he was confident that the security forces were capable of tackling the issue and that the level of security in Sabah had been increased.
"The crisis will end soon. What's important is for us to stay calm," he added.