Published on: Wednesday, March 06, 2013
Kota Kinabalu: A total of 213 students from Universiti Malaysia Sabah's Sandakan campus have been relocated to its main campus following inconsistent food supplies from its cafeteria there.
Assuring the situation is just temporary, Vice Chancellor, Prof. Datuk Dr Mohd Harun Abdullah claimed students had been facing problems with food especially during dinner time, which may have been caused by the recent Sulu crisis.
The problem has prompted the university to relocate the students - 54 boys, 159 girls - to its main campus here, to provide them better facilities.
"We want them to enjoy undisrupted supplies and facilities here and the process of transporting begins today (Tuesday)," he said, during a press conference.
He, however, did not link the shortage to panic buying or other factors that have links to the crisis in Lahad Datu, maintaining it was because of the 'supply' issue.
Dr Mohd Harun also explained its Sandakan campus will not be fully closed as the general office would still be open like usual.
Meanwhile, its Labuan campus has had no security threat, hence operations are not affected.
He also said classes and lectures have not been stopped, ever since the armed attack and the national forces' offensive.
"Students are still in good condition and their safety is still guaranteed.
From the aspect of security, UMS is in constant contact with the police for updates, especially on current issues," he added, assuring parents not to worry over their children's safety.
Meanwhile, UMS has already set up a 24 hour hotline call-center to answer any queries from the public, especially parents.
Dr Mohd Harun said the operation room will be manned by officers to answer any queries over the current situation in the university.
"We are also in constant monitoring the security situation in the university.
And our main priority is to be cautious and ensure the students are comfortable and good," he said.
The numbers are 088-320 854 or 088 - 320 855, while the university also set up a twitter and Facebook account for latest updates.
Dr Mohd Harun is also optimistic that the situation will turn for the better after the military assault on Tuesday and expressed his condolences to the families of security personnel who died during duty, recently.