Daily Express
INDEPENDENT NATIONAL NEWSPAPER OF EAST MALAYSIA
Established since 1963
Dad, son drown in Pahang

Published on: Thursday, December 05, 2013

KUANTAN: The situation in flood-hit Pahang has worsened, with more than 20,000 people evacuated to relief centres and a man and his son feared to have drowned.

A spokesman of the police flood operations room said 40-year-old Jamal Ali, a Pekan Umno committee member, and his teenage son, identified only as Megat, were moving their belongings to a boat at about 8.30pm in Sungai Isap when they fell into the floodwaters.

It was learnt that Jamal and his son had used their own fibreglass boat to transfer their belongings.

At as 10pm, 22,395 people had been moved to relief centres in the state.

Lipis became the sixth district to be affected by the floods when 11 people were evacuated to a relief centre. Kuantan remains the worst-hit district, with 14,044 evacuees at 46 relief centres. Rompin had 4,144 evacuees at 13 relief centres, Pekan had 3,061 at 13 centres, Maran had 1,005 at seven centres and Jerantut had 130 at four centres," said a spokesman of the Pahang police flood operations room.

In JOHOR BARU, the number of its flood evacuees rose to 8,705.

All are being sheltered at 63 flood relief centres, said a spokesman of the Johor Police flood operations room.

He said the Pontian and Ledang districts were the latest to be struck by floods. Two relief centres were opened in Pontian late this evening to house 303 evacuees and one in Ledang to accommodate seven evacuees.

The number of evacuees rose from 5,694 to 5,711 in Mersing; from 975 to 1,005 in Kluang; from 212 to 223 in Kota Tinggi and from 71 to 175 in Batu Pahat. In Segamat, the number of evacuees dropped from 1,081 to 1,064 while in Muar it remained at 217.