Daily Express
Established since 1963
Dad and son drown off Tuaran

Published on: Saturday, December 28, 2013

Kota Kinabalu: A family picnic outing turned tragic when a father and son were swept away by strong currents at the coastal area near Kg Lok Nunuk, Jalan Ambong, in Tuaran, Friday.

Tuaran Police Chief DSP Abdul Fuad Abd Malek, when contacted, identified the duo as 40-year-old Mojinis Langkum and his 15-year-old son, Dickly Mojinis, from Kg Patikang Laut Keningau.

Preliminary investigations showed the father dove into the sea to rescue his son who was struggling frantically in the water. Unfortunately, both were swept away by strong currents.

A team from the Tuaran and Kota Belud Fire and Rescue Departments rushed to the scene following a distress call about 12.36pm.

The boy's body was discovered about 3.25pm, some 50km away from where they were last seen.

Abdul Fuad said they are still searching for the father who has not been found at press time.

Meanwhile, in Ranau, three people sustained slight injuries when the vehicles they were travelling in collided along Jalan Pekan Nabalu-Bundu Tuhan, about 1pm, the same day. The accident, which involved a Toyota Hilux and a Toyota Avanza, caused the Avanza to plunge into a ravine.

A fire truck manned by three personnel from the Ranau Fire and Rescue Department, led by Jaminak Kasuman, arrived at the scene about 1.35pm. However, they were already rescued by passersby by the time the team arrived.

In a separate incident, a landslide was reported at Km 7, Jalan Ranau- Kundasang about 8.50pm on Thursday.

Five personnel from the Ranau Fire and Rescue Department rushed to the scene after being alerted about the landslide about 9.17pm. However, no casualty was reported.

It was learnt that one lane was cleared to make way for traffic about 11.25pm the same night and traffic flow was restored to normal about 9.30am the following day.

Also in Kg Gudon, Menggatal, two women and two girls were rescued by the seven personnel from the Kota Kinabalu Fire and Rescue team using rope and stretchers, while two women and nine children were rescued In Kg Tebobon after their village was flooded about 8pm on Thursday.

All of them were transferred to the Kg Gudon hall and were allowed to return home the next day.