Daily Express
INDEPENDENT NATIONAL NEWSPAPER OF EAST MALAYSIA
Established since 1963
Probe on fake CCTV footages

Published on: Thursday, January 23, 2014

Kota Kinabalu: Police will open a new investigation paper on the uploading of several fake CCTV footages that went viral in the social media, claiming these were linked to a drive-by shooting spree earlier this month.

State Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said he had instructed City Police Chief ACP Jauteh Dikun to lodge a report on the fake CCTV footages, which were widely circulated in social networks.

"Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) will not do the investigation but we will, as I have directed Jauteh to lodge a report on the concerned footages so as to enable us to investigate it as a new case.

"Nonetheless, we will be working hand-in-hand with MCMC to assist us in finding the culprits who first uploaded the footages that were claimed recorded from one of the damaged premises in the city," he said.

Hamza was speaking after launching a religious book entitled "Normal Practice of Welcoming Birth" based on the practice of the Prophet Muhammad in conjunction with Maulidur Rasul celebration at Pulapol Hall at Sabah Police headquarters in Kepayan, Wednesday.

Perkep (Police Family Association) Sabah published 3,000 copies that were distributed internally for sale to district police chiefs, heads of departments, police officers and personnel. It took them six months to complete the book that is useful for newly weds and young parents.

Glass panes in almost 50 business premises in the city and nearby Penampang were damaged by a group who was initially described as delinquents (budak nakal) on Jan 10 This group was believed to have used air guns and marbles in the rampage that began on midnight that day.

Hamza said there were no new arrests apart from the three men in their 30s who are still being detained to facilitate investigation.

"We will not leave any stone unturned and will investigate all possibilities and aspects including involvement of gangsterism. We also cannot rule out any particular person in the case," he said.

On whether the men still in detention are linked to any criminal case, Hamza said police could not reveal much as it is an on-going investigation.

He added that the police are committed to resolve the case and serious efforts have been made.

Earlier Hamza distributed 200 safety jackets donated by a non-governmental organisation to five district police representatives from Keningau, Ranau, Tuaran, Semporna and Sandakan that will handed over to children who go to school by boat.