Daily Express
INDEPENDENT NATIONAL NEWSPAPER OF EAST MALAYSIA
Established since 1963
QEH Tower Block opens June

Published on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Kota Kinabalu: The Queen Elizabeth I (QEH I) Tower Block is 98 per cent completed and is finally scheduled to open in June, Health Minister Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam announced during a working visit, Tuesday.

He said workers are busy placing all the equipment and when completed it would have about 1,500 beds, making it the third general hospital for the city after QEH II and the Sabah Women and Children's Hospital in Likas.

"The cost of building this complex is RM365 million, while the Ministry has spent about RM120 million for equipment.

So in total it costs RM485 million," he said.

The completion of the tower block had been delayed several times due to, among other things, labour and cement shortage. It stands where the State's first hospital was built but had to be demolished due to structural problems related to the use of sea sand during its construction.

Dr S. Subramaniam also proposed the development of seven health zones as the Ministry's next move to improve healthcare services in Sabah.

The seven zones which include Sandakan, Tawau, Beaufort, Sipitang, Keningau and Kota Marudu would function independently, offering general and expert medical treatments.

"This (introduction of zones) will allow the number of patients referred to Kota Kinabalu hospitals to be reduced, while the public can get quality treatment from their respective areas," he said.

The Ministry would also look into plans to beef up the facilities and raise enough manpower to manage the zones, so "wider area" of health services can be given. He said the zones would also have own specific specialties.

For example here in the City, "Cancer Camp", while general surgery, medicine orthopedic, pediatric, and general experts in Zone Two in Sandakan. No timeframe has been given for the plans.