Daily Express
INDEPENDENT NATIONAL NEWSPAPER OF EAST MALAYSIA
Established since 1963
45 families get keys to new homes

Published on: Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lahad Datu: A total of 45 families received keys to their new homes built after the Ops Daulat was launched to flush out the Sulu terrorists who intruded the district in February last year.

The keys were presented by the Minister in the Prime Minister's Department, Dato' Seri Dr Shahidan Kassim in a ceremony at Tanjung Labian on Tuesday.

Shahidan in his speech said the completion of 45 units of the houses showed that the government is concerned about the people and have the ability to fulfil their promise.

"Our Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced the construction of the houses during his visit on April 6, last year and also announced the set up of Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom).

"This proof that the government always strived to implement methods to provide better life for the people and ensure the safety of the," he said, adding that Esscom served to protect the security and sovereignty of the country.

According to Shahidan, the new houses were built according to the Building back Better that will provide a better quality houses for the people. He said, people will definitely will live in more comfortable environment.

Therefore, he said, they should feel grateful and work with the Government and to protect the country from any threat.

"We should play our respective roles to strengthen our security.

We should also be ready to assist and co-operate with the government and security forces including report suspicious behaviour of any individuals or group in respective areas.

"Lodge immediate reports so that quick action could be taken to prevent any matter that could threaten national security," he said, adding he hoped the recipients will be able to have better life with the new house.

The Security of National Security Council (MKN), Datuk Mohamed Thajudeen Abdul Wahab, said MKN is responsible for building 45 houses while the remaining 32 units will be completed by Esscom.

Thajudeen said 25 units were built in Kampung Tanjung Batu and 20 others in Kampung Tanjung Labian at a cost of RM3.044 million.

He said although they face several difficulties during the completion of the project, all the houses were completed according to the standards set for the convenience of the villagers.

One of the recipients, Fazil Abdu Munap, 30, said he was happy and grateful to have the new house which is better and comfortable for his family.

"I thank the government for not forgetting us and always strived to provide better life for us since the intrusion," he said.