Published on: Friday, February 28, 2014
Kota Kinabalu: Inanam Assemblyman Dr Roland Chia and Ranau Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) Chief Jonathan Yassin have jointly urged that priority for filling up vacancies in the Education Department be given to Sabahans, as part of honouring the 20-Points safeguards to Sabah, to uphold the Borneonisation principle in the civil services.
"We have also been informed by the department's Deputy Director that so far there are about 40,000 teachers in Sabah and the percentage of teachers in respect of 80pc Sabah and the rest from outside Sabah," they said in a joint statement Thursday.
They said they visited the State Education Department that day to verify the information that has gone viral via a social media portal with regards to settlement/transfer of 1,000 non-Sabahan civil servants to Sabah.
"Although Education Director Datuk Jame Alip is on official duty in the Federal Capital, we had the opportunity to meet with his Deputy Director Hajah Maimunah Suhaibul. During the discussion, we were informed by her that the new settlements to Sabah from the peninsula are only 267 people," they said.
"There are also a number of recruitment in the year. However, the exact figures and number of transfer groupings cannot be disclosed at the time we met the Deputy Director. The department will furnish us with the details in the shortest possible time," they added.
They said the Deputy Director has received an official letter with reference to the alleged placement of 1,000 new staff, adding they hope the department will provide the answer to the question.