Daily Express
INDEPENDENT NATIONAL NEWSPAPER OF EAST MALAYSIA
Established since 1963
Andre returns for another stint

Published on: Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Kota Kinabalu: Brazilian attacking midfielder AndrŽ Esposito has returned to play for Sabah for a second stint after agreeing to a one and a half year contract with the Sabah Football Association on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old who last played for Tarxien Rainbows, a Maltese Premier League side was a Likas Stadium crowd favourite in the 2005-2006 season.

He arrived a week ago at the invitation of avid Sabah fan, Sahrin Said from the sabahrhinos.com and has been training with the team for the past few days.

Safa Secretary General Aljius Sipil confirmed the signing only late in the afternoon.

"He has agreed to sign a contract which will see him playing for us until the end of next season and we are very happy with that."

He said Safa is signing him on the available quota for foreign imports and the position of current midfielder Mitrovic Srecko is not affected for the time being.

"We are allowed to sign four foreign imports in the current season, so we are filling Andre with the slot and Mitrovic is still a member of the squad."

However, he said Mitovic is currently unable to play due to his injury and if it is found to be serious that may sideline him for a long period of time then appropriate measures will then be taken.

Alijus added that Safa is now trying their best to get Andre's international transfer certificate so that he could see action this Friday against JDT II here at the Likas Stadium.

Coach Milomir Seslija said the signing of the Brazilian will give him more options in terms of strategy and the formation of the team during a match.

"I think the fans here will know more of him than me, but from what I saw during the training sessions so far , he is a very good player with very good technique. He is also good at winning the ball as well as a very good communicator on the pitch."

"With him in the team, it will definitely give me more ideas of how to apply different strategies especially on the midfield and the strikers' position."

Meanwhile, Leopold Alfonso who was dropped early in the pre-season was also given the green light to return to the senior team after he was offered a contract to sign by the management.

Despite the signing of Andre, the search for another striker is still on the card and at least three more strikers are set to come for trial in the next few days including a Cameroon international, an Uzbekistani and a Congolese Belgian.