Daily Express
INDEPENDENT NATIONAL NEWSPAPER OF EAST MALAYSIA
Established since 1963
Suspect behind series of robberies detained

Published on: Saturday, April 26, 2014

Kota Kinabalu: A 36-year-old local has been detained to facilitate investigations on a series of robbery cases in several districts here, Friday.

City Police Chief ACP Jauteh Dikun said the unemployed man, from Kg Nosoob, Penampang, was apprehended by a joint patrol conducted by beat police and Rela, in Luyang at 2.20am.

Preliminary investigations showed the team approached the man on a motorcycle who was behaving suspiciously in front of a kiosk station at Iramanis, Jalan Lintas.

The man, however, jumped on his motorcycle and fled the scene, prompting the team to give chase.

The man was apprehended when he lost control of his motorcycle which crashed on the roadside.

Jauteh said a screwdriver and several documents linked to a robbery case in Tuaran were found in his possession, adding that the man has been referred to the Tuaran Police Department for further action.

In an unrelated case, the live bomb, believed to be from the World War Two era, unearthed at a construction site in Tanjung Aru, here, was detonated in a safe location without any untoward incident, Friday morning.

It was reported that the bomb was discovered by construction workers doing some excavation works after digging about 10 feet deep about 4pm on Thursday.

A police team and the Bomb Disposal Unit went to the scene after being alerted of the discovery.

Several discoveries of live bombs were also reported at a coastal area near SK Pulau Sepanggar in October last year.