Published on: Wednesday, May 07, 2014
It decided on the drastic steps following an emergency meeting chaired by Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman on Tuesday - less than 10 hours after it happened in Silam.
"Today we received unpleasant news when another kidnapping happened.
We view this as a worrying threat. It is very serious and must be stopped once-and-for-all," said Musa.
The council was given a debriefing on the intrusion and kidnapping carried out by a group of armed men at Pulau Baik in Lahad Datu at about 2.45am Tuesday by the various security agencies.
Musa said integrated efforts would be taken to boost security, especially in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (Esszone). Under these circumstances, the State Security Committee decided to take these measures:
- Introduction of the controlled area system where entry would be limited according to time, place and situation. Permission and permit from the police are required for anyone entering into the controlled areas.
More details to come from the police;
- Establishing Forward Base in strategic areas for security surveillance of Sabah waters;
- Imposing curfew in high-risk areas where no movement will be allowed.
Police are looking into details of its implementation;
- Short, medium and long-term steps to be taken including making organisational changes, appointment and filling up officers and personnel of Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom), placing high capability radar;
- Boosting the capability of security forces especially in terms of logistics such as high-powered speed boats in high-risk areas;
- Bolstering psychological warfare in creating awareness among the people to be the defence line in Esscom;
- Immediately improve the channel and standard operating procedure of Esscom communication so that information could be relayed quickly to the security agencies on the field;
- To immediately enforce the designated routes for boats and ships in risky areas; and
- Improving the logistic capability like establishing logistic support through the Mother Ship concept as the hub or platform for speed boats to refill fuel without having to return to the mainland, hence saving time and cost.
"I wish to remind here that as Chief Minister and Chairman of the State Security Committee, it is my responsibility to ensure the safety of the people in the State and its visitors," he said.
The State Security Committee urged all quarters particularly people in the East Coast of Sabah to continue giving cooperation to the authorities in the bid to ensure Sabah's security to be at the highest level, he said.