Home / Sabah Local News
Illegal cyber Tg Aru joints despite raids
Published on: Saturday, June 07, 2014

Kota Kinabalu: Police conducted a major operation against cyber gambling premises operating in Tanjung Aru town here on Wednesday, after such premises were found continuing to operate despite previous raids.

Deputy City Police Chief Supt M. Chandra said a total of 23 local caretakers, including 16 women, aged between 18 and 30, were brought in to facilitate investigations during the latest raid conducted on ten cyber gambling premises.

"Also seized were RM14,596 and a total of 277 computer sets as well as gambling machines," he told a media conference held at the Karamunsing Police Station here, Friday.

He said they are detained under Section 4B(a) of the Common Gaming Houses Act 1953 which carries a fine of up to RM200,000 or a period of up to five years' jail.

Chandra said police had also raided seven premises in Tanjung Aru town between January and May 18 this year.

"In these raids, a total of seven local caretakers, including two women, were detained and 77 computers as well as RM4,730 were seized," he said.

"Last year alone, we raided seven premises and detained 12 local caretakers, including three women, in Tanjung Aru town," he said, adding that a total of 147 computer sets and RM3,114 were seized during the raids.

"The battle against cyber gambling is a never ending saga and we will continue to conduct raids until such activities are completely weeded out," he said.

On another case, Chandra said a 22-year-old local man, from Kg. Cempaka in Likas, has been brought in to facilitate investigations on the case where a 58-year-old Korean businessman was robbed under the bridge near the Anjung Selera food court while jogging at Likas Bay here.

Chandra said the businessman, who has stayed in the State for the past five years, claimed he was robbed of his handphone worth RM1,200 and RM300, when he was approached by two men while jogging alone at about 5.30am on May 19.

"The Korean claimed that one of the men held his neck while an accomplice took his handphone and wallet before fleeing in separate directions, one by boat which headed towards Kuala Sungai in Kg. Likas, while the other fled on a bicycle," said Chandra, adding that the man had parked his vehicle under the bridge and was about to go jogging when the incident happened.

"Our investigations led to the detention of a man, believed to be involved in the incident, at Kg. Pondo in Pulau Gaya at about 1.50pm on June 1," he said, adding that police are now tracking his accomplice.

He said the case is being investigated under Section 395 of the Penal Code for robbery.

On that note, Chandra advised people not to go jogging alone and to avoid lonely places especially in the dark.

"Currently we have our police beat team patrolling the area during peak hours from 5am to 8am and again from 4pm to 8pm," he said, adding that they plan to have a team patrolling the area on bicycles during peak hours.

News Categories

Most Read