Published on: Friday, July 18, 2014
He said the announcement would, perhaps, be made today (Friday) if at all there is a need.
"Whatever it is, the security forces are ready and capable of controlling the situation should any circumstances occur," he said, when approached by the media after attending the Raya goodies handing over ceremony here, Thursday.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman handed over the goodies to the heads of security and armed forces in the State during the ceremony, which was also attended by Cabinet Ministers.
The goodies were donated by 30 government department and agencies, non-governmental organisations, corporate bodies and private companies to show appreciation to the forces for ensuring peace and security in the country.
"We will have a meeting today in Semporna to discuss every angle which concerns security aspects," said Jalaluddin, adding that police are investigating messages, which are being circulated via social media, allegedly on another possible intrusion.
He urged the people not to be swayed by information, which is being deliberately circulated by irresponsible quarters to cause unrest among the people.
"Sabah is safe and I assure that the security forces are capable of controlling the situation," he said.
Earlier in his speech during the ceremony, Jalaluddin said that the Sabah Police Contingent would launch the Ops Selamat 2014 in due time, following the national launching of the campaign by the Inspector-General of Police on Thursday.
He also advised the people not to worry after internal information leaked and was circulated via social media.
"This is a normal inside process. After inspection was conducted on the said information, we find that it is false and only rumours circulated by certain people to confuse us," he said.
On the leak of internal information, Abdul Rashid said they will investigate and action will be taken against those responsible for leaking confidential information.
Meanwhile, random checks by Daily Express reporters based in Tawau, Sandakan and Lahad Datu, showed that there has been no panic buying among residents.
Residents were seen going about their daily activities on their regular pace with no signs of panic or fear among them.
Jalaluddin also reminded those leaving their homes for the Hari Raya holidays to inform the police.
"This is among the safety measures to be taken to make this festive season a zero break-in Raya," he said.
Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) chief Datuk Abdul Rashid Harun also dismissed claims that several groups of gunmen were planning to attack the Sabah's east coast.
Rashid said after carrying out a thorough investigation on all the claims, they found that all were rumours.
"Do not worry, as the information spread on social media are not true," he said in a statement.
On the internal memo for the police that had been circulated over social media, Rashid said those were standard documents that are compiled every time the police receive any information or reports.
"We sent the memo to our men for investigation and verification," he explained.
Rashid also said that the memo was not supposed to be distributed irresponsibly because they were unverified and would only cause unnecessary panic among the public.
"A police report to find out who leaked this memo has been made," he added Rashid said security in Sabah, especially the east coast was under control.
He also urged the public to contact their nearest police stations or the Esscom operations centre to verify any information or rumours received.
He said the police are also investigating the person within the force who had spread the news or information, which has been deemed 'confidential' by the authorities.