Teo, who is also Tanjung Kapor Assemblyman, said this after a visit to Kg Tanjung Kapor and a meeting with the District Disaster Committee, Wednesday, where he was briefed on the latest development of the fire victims by the police, Fire and Rescue Department and Welfare Department officers.
According to the latest report, a total of 491 people lost their homes in the fire that destroyed 79 houses in the squatter colony at Kg Tanjung Kapor.
Most of the squatters are Malaysian citizens while two are IMM13 holders.
There is no report on illegal immigrants yet.
"There are 500 units of PPR apartments that have just obtained occupancy certificate (OC) in Kudat.
"In the meeting, we have approved to give priority to the fire victims to move into the PPR units."
Teo said it was also decided in the meeting to prohibit squatter homes from being built at Kg Tanjung Kapor.
Instead, he said, the authorities would seek other ways to provide homes for the squatters, in line with the plan to resettle them.
"There are over 1,500 squatters in Kudat. We plan to relocate them step by step," he said.
Teo added that 16 families were now staying at Dewan Kampung Perpaduan Ria for the time being, while other fire victims have gone to their families and relatives' houses.
Teo also advised the fire victims to lodge a police report on the fire as it was one of the conditions in order to obtain government assistance.
So far, 49 households have made the police reports. The Welfare Department has been providing assistance to the victims in the form of cooked food since Tuesday, he said.
During Teo's visit to Kg Tanjung Kapor yesterday, another fire broke out at the house of the late former Kudat District imam Mujun.
Fortunately, Teo said the fire did not spread to adjacent houses.
The house and two vehicles perished in the fire.