Home / Sabah Local News

Drop in evacuees as water levels begin to recede
Published on: Friday, January 23, 2015

Kota Kinabalu: Flood victims sheltered in six relief centers started leaving after water levels began to recede in several parts of Beaufort and Membakut on Thursday.

Beaufort District Officer Mohd Shahid Othman, however, said the water level would rise again once it starts raining, thus, they are on the alert for any possibilities.

"As at 1pm, the relief centres in Beaufort and Membakut recorded a total of 1,344 families comprising 3,878 people from about 80 villages," he said.

Eight roads in Beaufort still remained closed at press time.

However, data released at 6.17pm showed water started to recede and some villagers were allowed to return home, bringing the number of those sheltered at the relief centers down to 2,038 people.

In Sipitang, a total of 87 families comprising 323 people from five villages are affected by the flash flood.


Meanwhile, lessons for 7,000 school-going children were halted as 39 schools were affected by flash floods in several parts of Beaufort, Papar and Sipitang.

Data released by Education Director Datuk Jame Alip revealed 34 schools in Beaufort, five schools in Papar and one school in Sipitang were affected by the flooding.

"But only SJKC Sin Boon continued with the day's lesson at teachers' houses," he said. "All lessons will be substituted on Saturday."

The numbers have risen from 35 schools and 6,000 students and teachers affected by the floods on Wednesday.

Schools were not able to commence as they were submerged by water and the roads heading to the schools were impassable to vehicles.


Meanwhile, all five relief centers in Tenom were closed at about 10am as water started to recede in the district.

In Penampang, residents were on the alert when non-stop rain caused water to rise in several low-lying areas, namely Kg Penampang Proper, Kg Kibabaig, Kg Kasigui, Kg Nambazan, Kg Kaambazan and Kg Tindai.

A resident said they heard the flood siren at about 6.30pm and from then the water started to rise, adding that villages on both sides of the Moyog river are affected.

"We stayed awake the whole night and only went to bed after the water level stopped rising at about 1am," he said.

It was learnt that the water level in most houses built on stilts in Penampang came under water as deep as 2.5 feet.


A Penampang Proper villager, who only wanted to be known as Dennis, said his house was also affected by the flood, adding that water started to rise at about 7pm in his area.

The district had been hit by more than three incidents of flash floods within six months.

Trending Stories



Follow us on            

Advertisement