LATEST NEWS :





I already used the money: Kasitah
Published on: Tuesday, June 25, 2019

RANAU: Former Federal Minister of Land and Cooperative Development Tan Sri Kasitah Gadam (pic) became the first in Sabah to openly admit receiving money from the scandal-hit 1MDB, but said it was in good faith and that he had already spent the amount.

 Kasitah was among four individuals and political parties from Sabah that were identified by the MACC as being recipients and which the latter is now suing to reclaim. 

 “I never dreamed to be in this awkward position now. Nevertheless, I have no regrets but pride ourselves to be of help to Barisan Nasional in the GE13,” he told Daily Express, Monday.

 He said he was contacted by the Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission HQ regarding the matter and is giving full cooperation to the agency.

  “Yes its true that my name is in the list. Its true that Dato Najib Tun Razak (former Prime Minister) or could be his representative deposited some money in my account.

 “However the money was not for me. The money was used to survey the perceptions of voters in six KDM (KadazanDusunMurut) parliamentary seats. As a result of our survey BN managed to win five and lost one,” he said.

 Daily Express reported on Sunday that RM2.9million from the RM270m related to the 1MDB which the MACC is trying to recover, was disbursed to recipients in Sabah.  Besides Kasitah who received RM154,757.52, the others were Parti Bersatu Rakyat Sabah led by Tan Sri Joseph Kurup, also a former Federal Minister (RM1m), Liberal Democratic Party (RM509,560.96) and Sabah Umno (RM1.25m).



MACC is claiming the RM270m from each of the 41 respondents in its civil forfeiture suit. MACC chief commissioner Latheefa Koya had said the suit was filed at the Kuala Lumpur High Court last Wednesday under the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001. She said the monies disbursed to these 41 recipients all came from Najib’s personal bank account.

 Sabah Umno had said that it would convince the court that whatever funds it received was channelled from Umno headquarters for its activities and had no reason to suspect it was from an illicit source. Kurup had yet to clarify. 

 United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation (Upko) which received RM1m decided to return it to avoid being dragged into a lengthy civil forfeiture lawsuit. But Sec-Gen Nelson Angang said the act of returning the money did not mean the former BN component admit guilt or knew it was related to 1Malaysia Development Berhad.

He said the money was returned about one or two months ago and the party’s bank accounts has since been de-frozen by MACC.

 



ADVERTISEMENT


Other News
Advertisement 


Follow Us  



Follow us on            





Sabah Top Stories