HEADLINES :


ADVERTISEMENT




Hope yet for  RM5 billion Labuan bridge
Published on: Wednesday, July 17, 2019
By: Sohan Das

LABUAN: The long proposed RM5 billion Labuan-Menumbok bridge is finally expected to take its first step to becoming a reality.

The business page of a national daily (NST) Tuesday quoting the Chairman of Labuan Corporation Dato Seri Amir Hussin said bidding for the project was expected by the second half of the year.

A meeting would be held with the State Government over the project and a positive response was expected.

According to Amir in the report “it would be linked to the Pan-Borneo Highway and was part of the Labuan Corporation plan to revive the local economy”. The local economy had been in down trend since about 3 years ago due to the contraction of the oil and gas sector.

Member of Parliament Datuk Rozman Isl, when contacted, gave a double thumbs up and said “I am aware of it.”

Rozman since becoming MP in 2013 had been an active campaigner of the project bringing it up with all levels including the Prime Minister. He often described the bridge an important game-changer for Labuan.



The bridge was proposed under the 1997 Labuan Development Plan. A feasibility study at a cost of RM5 million was made by three universities headed by UMS Sabah. The study gave the green-light for the project but there had been no progress.

Even private sector initiates to undertake the project did not get a positive response. During the BN rule another RM14 million allocation was approved for second updated feasibility study but this was cancelled by the new Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad.

The cancellation drew anger and the minister clarified that the study was cancelled but the bridge had not been voided.

The bridge expected to be about 15-km long would enable motorists to cross the Menumbuk channel within 20 minutes.



ADVERTISEMENT


Other News
Advertisement 


Follow Us  



Follow us on            





Sabah Top Stories