HEADLINES :





P4.1t budget refiled in House, no insertion
Published on: Saturday, September 07, 2019


The House leadership under Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano decided not to insert the request of about 70 district congressmen in the GAB that was withdrawn last week.
MANILA: The House version of the proposed P4.1-trillion national budget for 2020 has been refiled after it was withdrawn last week due to a plea to increase the budget of some of its members by P90 billion for additional infrastructure projects.

During the plenary session on Wednesday night, the House referred House Bill 4228 or the General Appropriations Bill (GAB) for 2020 to the committee on appropriations.

The House leadership under Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano decided not to insert the request of about 70 district congressmen in the GAB that was withdrawn last week.

Sources said there have been no changes in the GAB, which was filed last Aug. 28 and withdrawn on the same day as it was being readied by the House committee on rules for referral to the appropriations committee.

This means the House rejected the plea to include the additional P90 billion in the GAB, which is traditionally a replica of the National Expenditure Programme (NEP) submitted by the executive branch.

House Appropriations Committee Chairman and Davao City 3rd district Rep. Isidro Ungab confirmed this in an interview.

“There are no changes made (in the GAB). That’s been the tradition – we usually copy in toto the NEP in the GAB of the appropriations committee,” Ungab said.

He said while Congress could prepare its own GAB, it would take a long time to prepare it and could delay the calendar set by the House for approval of the 2020 proposed budget.

Albay 2nd District Rep. Joey Salceda, Vice Chair of the Appropriations Committee and Chairman of the Ways and Means, said the House leadership opted not to revise the GAB filed last week.

“The Speaker sort of allowed the House to move forward and that upon re-filing of the GAB, which will still mirror the NEP, it will be referred back to the appropriations committee so we can approve it and we can go to the plenary,” Salceda said.

“In other words, all is well that ends well. The buck stops with the Speaker,” he added.

Salceda said the GAB to be refiled is the same GAB withdrawn last week, which would pave the way for passing of the budget as scheduled.

“Everything has been resolved. We’ll have the GAB as is where is, that’s the NEP. And that we will approve it before Oct. 5,” he said.

The House came up with the decision after meeting on the issue earlier this week following withdrawal of the GAB by House Deputy Speaker and Camarines Sur 2nd District Rep. Luis Raymund Villafuerte.

Ungab said that lawmakers are asking for about P70 billion to P90 billion in total additional budget to be included in the proposed NEP for next year.

He said they raised the concerns on the funds, which were either slashed during preparations of the proposed budget or vetoed by the President in the 2019 budget, during the hearing on the budget of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).

Ungab earlier expressed fear that the withdrawal of the GAB could “open the floodgates of insertions.”

He hinted that the concerns of the lawmakers would most likely be addressed by a supplemental budget.

“We will study that possibility because the vetoed items remain as unappropriated items. So it is possible that we can tap it later. But I cannot say with a degree of certainty because it will all depend also on the executive department, if they will submit measures to cure the problem,” he said.

Ungab said the issue must be resolved without disrupting the calendar of the House, which intends to pass the budget before going into its first recess on Oct. 5.

There is no way for the House to add at least P90 billion in pork barrel funds to the proposed P4.1-trillion national budget for next year, as demanded by at least 60 members.

“At this point, there is no more window to add anything. We just have to accept the 2020 budget as submitted by President Duterte,” Rep. Romeo Momo Sr. of party-list group Construction Workers Solidarity, told the weekly Party-list Coalition news forum.

Momo is an Appropriations Committee Vice Chairman and Senior Vice Chairman of the Committee on Public Works. He is a former DPWH Undersecretary.

Momo said the House and the Senate could not increase the P4.1-trillion budget ceiling as determined by the President and his Cabinet.

“The only way to add to the President’s budget proposal is to return it to him and the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) so they could make changes, but that would delay the approval of the budget,” he said.



ADVERTISEMENT


Other News
Advertisement 


Follow Us  



Follow us on            





Asean Top Stories