M’gatal road signs replaced, after four years
Published on: Tuesday, February 11, 2020
Text Size:

AFTER four years, City Hall has finally replaced the damaged or missing road name-signs in Taman Rimbunan Hijau, Manggatal.

A spokesman for the agency said one of its contractors put the new signs up in the first week of February.

When asked about the lengthy delay which a homeowner had endured to have the signs replaced or repaired, the spokesman declined to comment.

“The maintenance team has been instructed to make periodic checks of the roads in the area to ensure that these structures are in order.”

He said this work was carried out as and when it became necessary to do so.

“To this end, we hope those living and working in the area will inform us directly of any irregularities involving the road name-signs.”

AZID of Manggatal voiced his displeasure to Hotline about City Hall’s inaction several times between August last year and January. His grievances were forwarded to the agency in each instance.

He said the sign along his housing road vanished one day in 2016 and had not been replaced, despite his constant requests for this to be done.

“Two years later, the name sign for another stretch in the area also went missing,” he said.

He felt that those, who were unfamiliar with the neighbourhood, located off Jalan UMS, would surely wind up losing their way because of this.

“I suspect that some residents might have missed out on getting important deliveries, be it mail or couriered items, made to their homes because of this situation.”

Off late, he said he had noticed that even some of the existing traffic signs were damaged.

Azid said he had repeatedly informed City Hall about the irregularities involving the signs but, so far, nothing had been done.

He first highlighted this problem to the agency in December 2016. 

When no action was forthcoming, he phoned them again in October 2017 and August a year later.

He claimed to have personally voiced his displeasure about lengthy hold-up to the Mayor at the agency’s “Hari Bertemu Pelanggan (Meet the People Day)” in February last year.

“The Mayor told me that it might be a lack of funding which was delaying the work,” he said. 

“Nevertheless, he promised to check with the relevant Department to find out what was going on.”

Azid said he phoned the agency in August after noticing that his complaints had yet to be dealt with.

“I was informed that two separate inspections had been carried out this year, in February and August. 

“On both occasions, the officers, who visited the neighbourhood, confirmed the problems I had raised and remarked that repairs were needed.

“The personnel, who carried out the second inspection, remarked that action had to be put on hold until next year, when a new budget was available.”

He was at a loss to understand why City Hall had not budgeted for the repairs earlier, considering he first reported to this problem to the agency three years ago.

“I feel it is unfair of the agency to keep collecting assessment from the residents for services which are, at best, unreliable.” (SS)


Other News

Follow Us  

Follow us on            

Hotline Top Stories