HEADLINES :




No state of emergency, and curfew, says Minister
Published on: Sunday, March 29, 2020
By: Bernama
Text Size:

PUTRAJAYA: The government Saturday denied that there will be an announcement relating to the state of emergency and curfew to be imposed in the country as claimed by a viral message.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said people should not be influenced by fake news as the government was still carrying out actions in accordance with the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988.

“I will announce a stricter Movement Control Order (MCO) after we have reviewed its effects on people. It is not a curfew, I assure you,” Ismail Sabri who is also Defence Minister told a news conference here.

Ismail Sabri said the MCO compliance rate has reached 97 per cent today while 1,046 roadblocks were conducted and 240,544 vehicles inspected.

“Based on the number of vehicles inspected, we can see that there were still a lot of vehicles on the road, and I also received reports that there was still traffic congestion in the capital,” he said.

On the Enhanced MCO (EMCO) implemented since yesterday at Kampung Datuk Ibrahim Majid and Bandar Baharu Datuk Ibrahim Majid in Simpang Renggam, he said the compliance rate at both areas are 100 per cent.

He added that the government would announce a more stringent standard operating procedure for MCO in the next two days.  

Meanwhile, the disinfection process to contain the Covid-19 outbreak will be conducted nationwide beginning this Monday (March 30), said Ismail Sabri.

He said the process, to be conducted by the Ministry of Housing and Local Government (KPKT) through the local government authorities in the respective district, would focus on high risk areas of the infection.

“So far, 11 disinfection processes have been carried out by DBKL (Kuala Lumpur City Hall) involving 11 markets.

“Today, the process is carried out in the Seri Petaling area,” he said.

In another development, Ismail Sabri said the mission to bring home Malaysian citizens who are stranded in Egypt would be carried out through a special flight. 

Without mentioning the number of Malaysians involved, he said they would be brought from Cairo to Brunei enroute to Malaysia.

So far, he said, the government had brought home 2,612 out of 3,162 Malaysians in 60 countries. 

 


ADVERTISEMENT


Other News
Advertisement 


Follow Us  



Follow us on            





National Top Stories