HEADLINES :




428 still holding out at the relief centres
Published on: Wednesday, July 01, 2020
Text Size:


Trapped victims being rescued by a Fire Department boat in Beaufort.
Kota Kinabalu: The number of flood victims in Sabah has dropped this evening with 428 victims from 133 families still remaining at five temporary relief centres (PPS) in three districts, as of 4pm.

The Sabah State Disaster Management Committee in a statement said only 99 victims from 35 families are at a PPS in Kota Belud while three other centres in the district area have closed down.

“In addition, 230 victims from 72 families are still at three centres in Tenom while 99 victims from 26 families remain at a PPS in Beaufort,” it said.

As of noon Tuesday, there were of 730 victims from 225 families at nine relief centres in various districts in Sabah.

In KOTA MARUDU, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Sabah and Sarawak Affairs) Datuk Seri Dr Maximus Johnity Ongkili urged heads of Department to speed up assessing the amount of losses and families involved in the recent flash floods. 

He said seven villages in the Kota Marudu parliamentary constituency had been affected. 

“Among them are Kampung Pancur, Kampung Taiwan, Kampung Taginambur, Kampung Pekan Lama, Kampung Marudu Laut Kampung Kandawayon and Kampung Sungoi Laut,” he said after being briefed about the situation at the Kota Marudu Disaster Operations Room, here, Monday. 

Ongkili also called on the Welfare Department to expedite the delivery of food assistance to the flood victims. 

In addition, the Kota Marudu Parliamentary Office will provide financial assistance to two families who have lost their homes and 25 families whose homes have been severely damaged by flash floods in Kampung Sungoi Laut.

In BEAUFORT, 92 victims from Kg Bekalau and 14 families from Kg Baitam in Membakut sub-district are still at the Dewan Datuk Seri Panglima Hj Mohd temporary relocation centre.

District Chief Police DSP Azmir Abd Razak when contacted said seven individuals of three families have returned to their houses as the floods decreased and the remaining victims will be allowed to return once it is safer.

“There are a total of 31 families that are affected involving 113 individual of who 14 are male, 36 female, 24 boys, 31 girls and eight infants.

“Based on current developments at the Padas River water level, the latest reading which rose to 8.80 meters still at the dangerous level.

“While the Membakut River water level has gone down to 6.12 meters from 6.80 meters which is still dangerous,” he said.

According to Azmir, all the villages within the district as well as in Membakut are still flooded.

He said the Beaufort-Kota Kinabalu and Sipitang- Menumbok roads can now be reached by all vehicles.

“All access to Kg Kangsa, Kg Kukup, Kg Jabang, and Kg Berumbai as well as in Kg Kayai in Membakut is still not possible.

“The flow trend in both Mutakut and Padas rivers shows a decline and if it continues significantly, a number of victims could probably return to their houses,” he said.

In KOTA BELUD, flood victims ate the Temporary Relocation Centre (PPS) dropped to 36 as of 7pm on Tuesday, compared to 323 previously.

Kota Belud Civil Defence Force Officer, Jimmy Alberto Tining, said currently there is only one PPS that is still open, Tun Said Community Hall, which houses eight families. 

He said SMK Taun Gusi II, Dewan Muhibbah Kg Tombol, SK Pekan hall, SRJK Chung Hwa Hall were shut down after several evacuees were evacuated after the flood was found to have receded.

“Of the 32 affected villages, only three have not been evacuated – Kg Lebak Engad, Kg Taun Gusi II and Kg Wakap.

He said the good weather caused the level of Sungai Abai to drop to the alert level at 4.36 meters while other rivers had returned to normal.

“The APM team will monitor the affected areas from time to time to ensure the safety of the villagers,” he said.

It is understood that all roads that was flooded have been restored and are accessible to all types of vehicles.

Among the affected villages since the June 27 flood are Kg Kota Belud, Siasai Tamu, Bobot, Ejuk, Menunggui, Lebak Engad, Sembirai, Lingkodon, Donggoi, Marajah, Lebak Moyoh, Sadok-sadok, Gunding, Linau dan Karang Benai.

Among the affected villages are also Taun Gusi Keranjangan, Tanjung Pasir, Labuan, Tanjung Wakap, Taun Gusi Il, Jawi-jawi, Kesapang, Kota Bungan, Tawadakan, Lilud, Merabau, Sangkir, Kota Peladok, Pengkalan Abai, Limatok, Rantai Rosok and Pirasan.

 


ADVERTISEMENT


Other News
Advertisement 


Follow Us  



Follow us on            





Sabah Top Stories