HEADLINES :




Encroachment: DBKK studying compensation
Published on: Tuesday, March 02, 2021
By: Sidney Skinner
Text Size:


Strangers (circled) were sighted on this Telipok resident’s land in July last year.
CITY Hall is still deliberating over whether to compensate a Telipok resident for supposedly encroaching onto his land.

Part of his property was apparently dug up, more than seven months ago, so that the soil could be used at the city landfill in the Kayu Madang area.

The landowner claims that the earth from his land was taken without his permission.

He wrote to City Hall seeking compensation when he first learned about this encroachment.

The individual provided Hotline with a copy of this letter which was forwarded to the agency.

A City Hall spokesman explained that the agency had to determine the actual boundaries for the landfill, prior to deciding if compensation was warranted.

“A demarcation survey has to be carried out for this purpose,” he said.

“We informed the landowner about this less than a month after we received his correspondence.”

He said City Hall was still trying to source for funds to conduct the survey.

The spokesman explained that the landfill covered more than 100 acres.

“Much of it is a forest which is cleared each time our workers need to obtain soil to bury the refuse. This is per the conditions of operating a landfill.

“A consultant was engaged to delineate the peripheries of the land before the dumpsite was first established many years ago.

“However, the information about the boundaries is not very clear from the consultant’s report.”

He apologised, on behalf of the City Hall, for the inconvenience caused by the delay.

MARTIN of Telipok said several strangers were found to have entered his land in July last year.

“They were seen excavating soil from my property around midday,” he said. 

Soil is used to bury the rubbish at the landfill.

“I learned later that these individuals might belong to the team managing the landfill.”

He said he contacted City Hall in July and was asked for evidence of the encroachment.

“I provided an officer from the agency with photographs of the excavation activities, via WhatsApp, shortly afterwards.”

In August, when no action was forthcoming, Martin made a police report about what had transpired on his property.

“I attached this document and a report from a licensed surveyor, together with my letter to City Hall.

“I personally submitted my compensation at the agency’s office the next day.”

The surveyor’s report indicated that the encroachment involved some 1.7 acres of his land, according to him.

“In the second week of September, I received a letter from City Hall. 

The administration apologised for the alleged incident and assured me that an investigation was being made into the matter.” 

Martin told Hotline earlier this year that he was still waiting for the issues raised in his letter to be resolved.



ADVERTISEMENT


Other News
Advertisement 


Follow Us  



Follow us on            





Hotline Top Stories