HEADLINES :




Firefighters scour Australian neighborhood looking for gas leak. They find durian instead.
Published on: Friday, October 15, 2021
Text Size:

Kota Kinabalu: Firefighters today were dispatched to a neighbourhood in the Australian national capital to investigate a reported gas leak only to find the culprit was actually a durian.

The Washington Post reported that Canberra resident Phuong Tran jokingly remarked on social media that the cause was probably someone eating durian.

An hour later, the regional Emergency Services Agency confirmed Tran’s quip.

While searching the area, the owner of a property above neighbourhood shops advised the first responders that the source of the smell was likely to be a durian.

“After a short investigation, crews confirmed [the durian] was the origin of the incident,” the agency wrote in a Facebook update.

“The fruit gives off a very pungent smell and can waft some distance.”

This is not the first "offence" by the king of fruits as the durian is most commonly called by fans in the region.

In 2018, a chemical hazard alert prompted the evacuation of close to 500 Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology students and teachers from a campus library. The culprit turned out to be a piece of rotting durian left in a cupboard.

The following year, the spiky fruit struck again, with people evacuated from the University of Canberra library when a “strong smell of gas” was reported. Hazmat crews again found the source to be a durian. 

* Follow us on Instagram and join our Telegram and/or WhatsApp channel(s) for the latest news you don't want to miss 

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available



ADVERTISEMENT


Other News




World Top Stories


Advertisement 


Follow Us  



Follow us on