Papar natives agree to give up headhunting
Published on: Saturday, October 02, 2021
By: British North Borneo Herald
Text Size:

16th Dec. 1938

(Extract from Herald of December 1, 1888) 

HIS Excellency the Governor has been pleased to grant a free pardon to Tambarang who has taken the oath of allegiance and the reward offered for his apprehension is hereby cancelled. The following is an extract from Mr Wheatley’s report of Tambarang’s submission:-

“On 22nd ultimo, I met over 500 persons from the interior Papar at the fair, and amongst the number was Tambarang the notorious headhunter. I did not arrest him as it is against the custom to arrest or create a disturbance at a fair and besides the chiefs of the interior brought him down to take the oath of allegiance to the Government so I trust that H.E. the Governor will approve of what I did. 

The other headhunters for whom rewards were offered with the exception of Kandurong are willing to follow the Government if I promised not to do anything to them if they come down, but I did not give the chiefs an answer as I was doubtful whether His Excellency the Governor would approve of my allowing Tambarang to go free. 

Sinpoke the chief of Bundu brought down a buffalo and I gave them another, both were killed and the blood sprinkled on a stone and the oath taken. At night I had a magic lantern display and the next morning they returned to their homes very well pleased. 

I think the tribes of the interior are 

beginning to see that it pays them to follow the Government. I went to the fair With the Magistrate-in-Charge of Papar and without a single constable, a thing which could not be done before and natives themselves came unarmed whereas in former days each man had his gun and spear. 

By His Excellency’s Command, 

L.B. Von Donop, 

Government Secretary. 

Sandakan, 1st December, 1888 

New Building for an Old School 

at Jesselton 

When your “contributor’ contributed the short story of the impressive opening of the new Sacred Heart Church on 14th August last, he did not realise that the old Church premises would, within a short time, be the scene of “showing the way” in a different direction and provide the solution for what had been a pressing problem to the local Catholic authorities — the need of an adequate premises for the growing population of the school. 

Arising out of the materials of the old edifice and on the same site of the old Church, the very spacious and well ventilated new building of the School is now an accomplished fact and the opening ceremony was conducted with due solemnity on 4th December. 

The Boy Scouts of the School’s troop formed a cordon at the entrance during the blessing ceremony which was performed by the Rector, the Very Rev. A. Verhoeven assisted by Rev. Father J. Van Haaren, the headmaster and Father F. van der Schoor; and at which were present the parents of the school children and other members of the Catholic community of Jesselton. 

Great credit is due to Brother Alexander who not only designed but also carried through the exacting duties of supervision in raising this serviceable and yet none-too-expensive school building while thanks are due to the many well wishers and benefactors who came to the assistance with their usual generosity. 

The acquisition of the new premises is sure to prove a great boon to the cause of education in these parts. 


We have been considerably distributed by nocturnal intruders of late. Wandering sapi, quite content to graze peacefully far from the station by day seem to be drawn by some unknown attraction by night and express their exuberance and regard for the station delicacies by jumping all the fences and feeding to their heart’s content on the flower beds. 

Notwithstanding the vigilance of the sentries they continue on their unlawful intrusions and so our only remedy lies in making the fences higher, which work is proceeding now. 

The padi planting has only recently been completed and although work has finished in the fields, it continues apace in the building of new bamboo fences which lend an air of newness and orderliness to the otherwise straggly appearance of the fields and Kampongs. 

Swimming is still a popular attraction and each Sunday morning quite a crowd gathers at the pool and disport themselves in weird and wonderful garments. Much to the amusement of the onlookers several men, place heavy stones on their heads and walk right through the stream disappearing for a considerable time, their only progress being visible by streams of bubbles. 

The diving board provided is regarded a little fearfully as it is likely to be uncertain in what manner it will precipitate the diver. Many are the sequels of derision as some poor unfortunate, comes a beautiful “buster”! 

A contractor is already on his way to Tambunan to commence the building of a Malarial Research Station. The site provisionally chosen is on a grassy plateau near the Bridle Path and commanding a fine view of the surrounding plains and river. It is expected to be completed within six months and we sincerely hope its results will be as completely successful as its promoters wish. 

Tambunan completely justified its reputation of providing cold weather about three days ago when the temperature dropped as low as 60°F and everyone thought they had fever, they shivered so much. Sweaters, coats and long trousers were the order of the morning and when the sun chose to appear he was greeted with more accord than he is used to receiving. 

Round the World in Four Minutes 

Lord Stanley’s message 

We print the following from the Daily Telegraph of Friday the 27th August as an item of interest showing what can be achieved by the Cable Services in conjunction with the able co-operation of Government Services. 

Toronto, Thursday. 

Within four minutes of its despatch a cabled message addressed by Lord Stanley, Dominions Secretary, to Empire Governments, was handed back to him with five replies, which it had picked up on a run of 51,165 miles round the world. Lord Stanley is on holiday in Canada for a month. 

The transmission stated to be the most ambitious ever attempted by cable, marked the opening this evening by Lord Stanley, of the British Government Pavilion at the Diamond Jubilee Canadian National Exhibition here. 

The telegram, which was one of greeting to the Empire Governments co-operating in the Exhibition, was despatched as Lord Stanley rose to speak. From Toronto it went to Vancouver, and on to Auckland, New Zealand. 

After collecting a reply from the Prime Minister of New Zealand, Mr Savage, the message went to Sydney, where the Prime Minister of Australia, Mr Lyons, added his reply. It then travelled by way of Singapore, to Bombay. 

The message passed on, via Aden, to Cape Town, addressed to General Hertzog, the South African Prime Minister, and, with his reply, way transmitted to London. There it was received by the High Commissioner for India, Sir Firoz Khai Noon, and Mr MacDonald, the Colonial Secretary both adding replies.

The message replies were transmitted by the Empire cable service of Cable and Wireless. 



Other News

Follow Us  

Follow us on            

TCT and Morefun sign MoU
September 15, 2021
Award-winning hearing aids
September 13, 2021

Sabah In History - Most Read