Sat, 20 Apr 2024

HEADLINES :


MACC takes statement from ex-finance minister over govt car fleet deal
Published on: Thursday, February 22, 2024
By: FMT, Faisal Asyraf
Text Size:

MACC takes statement from ex-finance minister over govt car fleet deal
MACC chief commissioner Azam Baki says he will leave it to the investigating officers to decide if it is necessary to call in the former prime minister involved at the time.
PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has recorded the statement of a former finance minister as part of its probe into the government’s agreement with Spanco Sdn Bhd regarding a contract signed between 2020 and 2021.

MACC chief commissioner Azam Baki said the graft-busters were still investigating the case, and did not discount the possibility of a former prime minister being called to facilitate the investigation.

“The investigation is ongoing and the related account is still frozen. We have yet to record a statement from a former prime minister, but we have done so from a former finance minister.

“The Spanco case is related to the contract signed between 2020 and 2021. So I leave it to the investigating officers – if they think the former prime minister was not involved, then there’s no point in calling him,” he said.

However, Azam did not reveal the names of those summoned to help in the investigation.

Last month, Azam said MACC had launched an investigation into a RM4.5 billion contract for procuring and managing the government’s fleet of vehicles.

He was reported as saying that MACC wanted to find out why the company was given the job of managing the government’s vehicles.

Several figures including key government officials and a businessman were expected to explain the matter to MACC.

Spanco reportedly held the concession to supply and manage the government’s fleet of vehicles from 1993, although this ended in 2019.

An open tender was launched that year as a joint venture between Berjaya Group and Naza Sdn Bhd reportedly secured a letter of intent for the deal.

However, Berjaya sued Putrajaya and Spanco last year, alleging that the concession was cancelled and arbitrarily awarded to Spanco in 2020.

* Follow us on Instagram and join our Telegram and/or WhatsApp channel(s) for the latest news you don't want to miss.

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.





ADVERTISEMENT






Top Stories Today

National Top Stories


Follow Us  



Follow us on             

Daily Express TV  







close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
open

Try 1 month for RM 18.00

Already a subscriber? Login here