Sat, 13 Apr 2024

HEADLINES :


Don’t be apologetic about upholding Bumiputera agenda, says economist
Published on: Saturday, February 24, 2024
By: FMT, Amirul Aiman
Text Size:

Don’t be apologetic about upholding Bumiputera agenda, says economist
Noor Azlan Ghazali said that the Bumiputera agenda does not infringe on non-Bumiputera rights. (Bernama pic)
Kuala Lumpur: Bumiputeras should not be apologetic about upholding the Bumiputera agenda as it is enshrined in the constitution, says a former Economic Action Council executive director.

Noor Azlan Ghazali said that it is the nation’s responsibility to ensure that the agenda, which is part of the constitution, can be successfully implemented.

“There’s no need to be apologetic, absolutely not. If 70% of the country’s population is successful, comfortable, and positive about their lives, I am very confident that the other 30% will also feel the same,” he said in his closing speech at the Bumiputera economic congress symposium here.

Article 153 of the Federal Constitution outlines the “special position” of the Malays and natives of Sabah and Sarawak.

Echoing Umno secretary-general Asyraf Wajdi Dusuki’s earlier comments, Noor Azlan said that the Bumiputera agenda also does not infringe on non-Bumiputera rights.

“We will not leave anyone behind.

“This agenda is very important and cannot be seasonal. It sometimes worries us that it is seasonal, disappearing only to reappear again.”

Earlier today, Asyraf said discussing the elevation of Bumiputera rights does not preclude non-Bumiputera rights.

He said the government was instead focused on empowering its agenda for the majority of the public and to elevate their dignity.

* Follow us on Instagram and join our Telegram and/or WhatsApp channel(s) for the latest news you don't want to miss.

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.





ADVERTISEMENT






Top Stories Today

National Top Stories


Follow Us  



Follow us on             

Daily Express TV  







close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
open

Try 1 month for RM 18.00

Already a subscriber? Login here