Thu, 30 May 2024

HEADLINES :


ADVERTISEMENT

Papar among districts with highest mishaps
Published on: Monday, April 08, 2024
Text Size:

Papar among districts with highest mishaps
“The roads are expected to be congested, so drive prudently even if you are tired during fasting,” Shahelmey said during the Road Safety Awareness Programme in conjunction with Aidilfitri 2024, here, recently.
PAPAR: All road users are advised to drive carefully and pay heed to the signage warnings.  

Public Works Department (JKR Sabah) Minister, Datuk Ir Shahelmey Yahya, said road accidents during the festive season can be avoided if all users cooperate and abide by the rules.

“I would like to advice road users to always be careful, drive prudently, and obey the warning signs that have been placed on the sides of the road, such as ‘do not cut’ and speed limits, among others.

“We have reached the last week of Ramadan, many residents of Papar, Beaufort will travel to Kota Kinabalu to do their Eid shopping.

“The roads are expected to be congested, so drive prudently even if you are tired during fasting,” he said during the Road Safety Awareness Programme in conjunction with Aidilfitri 2024, here, recently.

He said apart from the driver’s attitude, he also urged contractors of the Pan Borneo Highway to ensure that detours or signs are maintained regularly.

Shahelmey, who is also Deputy Chief Minister III, said based on road accident statistics from last year, Papar is the sixth highest district in the State.

“So, if we look at the statistics, Papar is also one of the districts that recorded a relatively high number of accidents, ranking sixth place.

“According to the statistics of 2023, Papar recorded more than 800 accidents last year, and in the first quarter of this year alone until March 31, it recorded more than 200 accidents,” he said.

On the status of the Pan Borneo Highway, Shahelmey said there are currently 19 ongoing packages, including four completed packages.

Additionally, another 16 packages will be implemented and are expected to be completed this year.

“Out of the five initial packages of the Pan Borneo Highway, four have been completed, 11 are still being implemented, and recently, in March, letters of acceptance for four new packages have been issued, with site ownership starting on April 1.

Three of these packages are on the Tuaran-Kudat line, namely packages 12, 13 and 14, while one more, package 16, is on the line from checkpoint Semporna-Tawau heading to Kunak.

“I am confident and hopeful that the commitment from the Federal government will ensure that all 19 remaining packages will be able to issue letters of acceptance or appointment to contractors before the middle of this year ends.”

Also present were Assistant Ministers of Public Works, Datuk Limus Jury and Datuk Robert Tawik, District Officer Mohd Fuad Abdullah, Sabah JPJ Director Mohd Harris Ali and Papar District Police Chief Supt Kamaruddin Ambo Saka.

* Follow us on Instagram and join our Telegram and/or WhatsApp channel(s) for the latest news you don't want to miss.

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.





ADVERTISEMENT






Top Stories Today

Sabah Top Stories


Follow Us  



Follow us on             

Daily Express TV  







close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
open

Try 1 month for RM 18.00

Already a subscriber? Login here