Mon, 15 Jul 2024

HEADLINES :


Estimated loss of RM3 million from 10 power theft cases
Published on: Friday, June 14, 2024
By: Mardinah Jikur
Text Size:

Estimated loss of RM3 million from 10 power theft cases
Abdul Nasser (second right) briefing the media about the confiscated items.
SANDAKAN: A series of raids in four districts in the State found 10 business and industrial establishments to be involved in power thefts.

Energy Commission of Sabah (Ecos) and Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB) jointly conducted the operation earlier this week in Kota Kinabalu, Kota Belud, Tuaran and Sandakan.

Ecos CEO Datuk Abdul Nasser Abdul Wahid said the premises were suspected of tampering with SESB meters and having illegal electrical connections, resulting in an estimated loss of RM3 million to SESB.

“Out of the 15 premises inspected, 10 power theft cases were detected, including at shrimp farms, tourist centres, furniture stores, restaurants, ice factories, seafood processing factories and entertainment centres,” he said Thursday.

Abdul Nasser said prosecutorial action would be taken in court under Sections 61(1) and 61(3) of the Electricity Supply Enactment 2024.

He added that SESB could also choose to recover the losses it incurred under Section 62 of the same Enactment.

He said the raids also found 20 unregistered and unlicensed generator sets.

In a separate event, Ecos also celebrated the official opening of its east coast regional branch office located at Wisma Sabah in Sandakan.

* Follow us on Instagram and join our Telegram and/or WhatsApp channel(s) for the latest news you don't want to miss.

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.





ADVERTISEMENT






Top Stories Today

Sabah Top Stories


Follow Us  



Follow us              

Daily Express TV  







close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
open

Try 1 month for RM 18.00

Already a subscriber? Login here