Wed, 24 Jul 2024

HEADLINES :


Health Dept confirms AGE outbreak in Tenom
Published on: Monday, June 17, 2024
Text Size:

Health Dept confirms AGE outbreak in Tenom
For illustrative purposes only. - Getty Images
KOTA KINABALU: The State Health Department confirmed that it received a notification of an acute gastroenteritis (AGE) outbreak in Tenom on June 6.

State Health Director Datuk Dr Asits Sanna said that the Tenom Health Office began identifying an increase in AGE cases on June 4 through continuous AGE surveillance.

“Further investigation based on the onset date of symptoms reported from 2 to June 13 found that the total number of AGE case notifications was 191,” he said in a statement on Monday.

“A total of 154 cases received outpatient treatment, while 37 were admitted to hospital for further treatment.

“Thirty-three cases have been discharged, and only four remain in the ward in stable condition.”

He said the suspected infection source is likely from consuming contaminated water. Environmental samples have been taken to determine the cause of the outbreak.

“However, the exact cause is still under investigation.

“The Sabah Water Supply Department has also been informed to take action to monitor the chlorination of treated water in the district,” he said.

Previously, a letter regarding the increase in AGE cases in Tenom went viral on social media.

* Follow us on Instagram and join our Telegram and/or WhatsApp channel(s) for the latest news you don't want to miss.

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.





ADVERTISEMENT






Top Stories Today

Sabah Top Stories


Follow Us  



Follow us              

Daily Express TV  







close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
open

Try 1 month for RM 18.00

Already a subscriber? Login here