Jesselton, Sandakan remember the war dead
Published on: Monday, November 13, 1967
Text Size:

KINABALU SABAH TIMES (Monday, November 13, 1967) - JESSELTON, Sun. - Sabah’s State Capital, Jesselton, observed Remembrance Day with a ceremonial parade and service held at the War Memorial this morning.

The Remembrance Day Service was officiated by the Minister of Local Government, Dato Pang Tet Tshung, who also laid a wreath on behalf of the State Government. 

Taking part in the parade were members of the Police Field Force, Ex-Servicemen’s Association. Special Constabulary and Voluntary Organisations. 

The Band of the Sabah Component, Royal Malaysia Police, was in attendance and played Commonwealth Airs during the ceremony. 

The Minister of Local Government arrived at the War Memorial at about 7.30 a.m, after which he said a prayer. A Police bugler then sounded the “Last Post’’ and the State Flag was lowered followed by a two-minute silence. 

After the Police bugler had sounded the “Reveille and the State Flag hoisted to the mast-head. Dato Pang laid a wreath on the memorial. 

This was followed by the State Puisne Judge, the Permanent Secretary to the Chief Minister, the Federal Secretary, the Commissioner of Police, the Resident West Coast, the President of the Ex-Servicemen Association, the two visiting Australian Ex-servicemen and various other dignitaries. 

The ceremony ended it h the playing of the State Anthem. 

In SANDAKAN, a solemn and impressive ceremony was held at the War Memorial in Sandakan this morning to commemorate those who lost their lives in World Wars I and II. 

Detachments from the Royal Malaysia Police, Sabah Component, and the 1st Regiment, Malaysian Reconnaissance Corps participating in the parade took up positions shortly after 7.31 a.m. 

Representatives from the various voluntary organisations, Government officials, ex-servicemen and school children were also present to observe Remembrance Day. 

The parade stood at attention on the arrival of the District Officer, Mr. Arthur Jones at 7.59 a.m. 

After a short prayer by Enche Ng Peng Keong, an ex-serviceman, two Military buglers sounded the “Last Post” while the Malaysian Flag was being lowered. 

This was followed by a two-minute silence. 

Then the buglers sounded the “Reveille” while the Malaysian Flag was being raised to mast-head. 

After a pause, it was lowered to half-mast and will remain so for the day. 

Wreaths were then laid. 

The first to lay a wreath was the District Officer. He was followed by the Divisional Superintendent of Police. Mr. M. Edge: Captain Ibrahim bin Haji Yusof, representing the 1st Regiment, Malaysian Reconnaissance Corps stationed in Sandakan. 

After this. wreaths were laid by the Chairman of Sandakan Town Board, Enche Tan Tze Shu: the Chairman of Sandakan Rural District Council, Pengiran Altinad bin Pengiran Indar: Enche D. Olanbal, representing the ex-servicemen. 

Wreaths in the names of various voluntary organisations were also laid. 

Other News

Follow Us  

Follow us on            

TCT and Morefun sign MoU
September 15, 2021
Award-winning hearing aids
September 13, 2021

Sabah In History - Most Read