Tue, 21 May 2024

HEADLINES :


Police smash prostitution syndicate exploiting foreign women
Published on: Tuesday, May 14, 2024
By: FMT
Text Size:

Police smash prostitution syndicate exploiting foreign women
Johor police chief M Kumar showing the items seized from the syndicate. (Facebook pic)
PETALING JAYA: Police have smashed a human trafficking syndicate, Geng Bala, which forced women into prostitution, following five raids in Johor Bahru and Kulai.

Kosmo reported Johor police chief M Kumar as saying that 13 foreign women aged 22 to 49 were rescued while eight syndicate members, including its mastermind, were arrested in the operation.

He said investigations found the syndicate had been active since last November.

“The syndicate’s modus operandi was to offer their victims jobs as factory workers and maids through agents in source countries.

“The agents would then arrange flight tickets and visitor passes for the victims to enter Malaysia.

“Once they arrived, the victims would be given ‘show money’ before being brought to transit houses,” he said in a press conference at the Johor police headquarters.

Kumar said should their entry be rejected, the victims would be brought to a neighbouring country and smuggled into Malaysia via ungazetted routes.

He said the syndicate would seize the victims’ passports and mobile phones, and then tell them that the previously offered jobs did not exist.

“The syndicate would tell them the only job available was as a sex worker, and the victims would have to pay RM11,000 in costs should they refuse.

“Investigations found the victims were forced to service up to 35 customers a day, who were charged RM100 to RM200 for their services and up to RM300 if the client wished to spend the night,” he said.

Kumar said the eight syndicate members comprised four locals, including the mastermind, and four foreign nationals.

Police also seized 13 mobile phones, 41 condoms, 24 foreign passports, RM8,730 in cash, a book recording prostitution activities, and a Proton Exora.

All the victims have been placed in a temporary shelter, while the suspects have been charged in the Johor Bahru sessions and magistrates’ courts.

Five of the eight men have been slapped with 39 charges – 13 charges under Section 12 of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act 2007, 22 under Section 12(1)(f) of the Passports Act 1966, and four under Section 15(1)(c) of the Immigration Act 1959/63.

* Follow us on Instagram and join our Telegram and/or WhatsApp channel(s) for the latest news you don't want to miss.

* Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.





ADVERTISEMENT






Top Stories Today

National Top Stories


Follow Us  



Follow us on             

Daily Express TV  







close
Try 1 month for RM 18.00
Already a subscriber? Login here
open

Try 1 month for RM 18.00

Already a subscriber? Login here