Kota Kinabalu: The Sapulut-Kalabakan road is in such a bad condition it is unbelievable that it was launched only last year in May by Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman.DAP Sabah Publicity Secretary Phoong Jin Zhe who travelled to Tawau via Jalan Sapulut-Kalabakan last Friday said the 145km road is riddled with potholes, sink holes and uneven road shoulders.
"It is so dangerous and accidents could happen easily. The government spent about RM900 million to upgrade it.
It shortened the travel distance from Tawau to Kota Kinabalu by three hours. During the launching ceremony, it was witnessed by many BN leaders including Works Minister Dato' Sri Fadillah Yusuf.
"But why, after merely one year, it is already so badly damaged as if it was never upgraded before?" he said.
Phoong doubted that it was properly built, which would explain the vulnerability of the road.
He said he also found that 30 to 40 overloaded lorries used the road that day.
According to a frequent road user, these logging trucks can be seen on the road almost daily.
"I would like to ask the government if these logging activities are legal? And is it the reason for the damaged road?
Was the road designed to cope with such high loads? These are the questions that the government has to answer," he said.
Phoong stressed that it is illogical and unacceptable that a road with a construction cost of RM900 million can be easily damaged in less than two years.