Daily Express
INDEPENDENT NATIONAL NEWSPAPER OF EAST MALAYSIA
Established since 1963
Squatters appeal to delay eviction order

Published on: Monday, July 28, 2014

Kota Kinabalu: Squatters from close to 200 families have appealed to the Government to consider delaying the order to evict them from their village to make way for the proposed new court complex at Jalan Shariff Osman, here.

According to their spokesperson Raffles Magadap, most of them have been staying in the village since the 1990s and doing menial jobs such as security guard and sweeper and do not have any land nor home in their own villages.

He said they received an eviction notice from City Hall on June 10 last year.

"However, we have appealed to Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman and Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Hajiji Noor regarding the matter.

"This is because we are unable to shift elsewhere as we are catergorised as poor and hardcore poor.

However, it seems our appeal latter has gone unanswered until today," he told reporters on Sunday.

"Some of us who have found other jobs that provide staff quarters have moved out but for the rest of us we have nowhere else to go.

That is why we are hoping the authorities will look into our plight," he said.