Rescued hostage may have leg amputated
Published on: Monday, April 08, 2019
By: Zam Yusa
Text Size:

KOTA KINABALU: The Malaysian hostage shot by Abu Sayyaf militants during his rescue last Thursday in Sulu may have his leg amputated due to a wound sustained in the firefight between the transborder criminal group and the Philippine military.

The fisherman from Sandakan, Jari Abdullah, 34, was abducted along with two Indonesians from their fishing boat in Pegasus Reef waters off Kinabatangan on Dec 6.

Daily Express on Friday broke the news on his rescue in Simisa Island, but he was in critical condition then due to the wounds sustained while trying to escape his Abu Sayyaf captors who were being pursued by the Philippine Marines.

“It seems he’s comatose and needs to be amputated because of a wound in the leg,” the Philippine military’s Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) spokesperson, Colonel Gerry Besana, told Daily Express on Sunday.

“I heard the doctors saying they will just wait for the family to decide [on the amputation]. We’ve been told he’s stabilised but hasn’t improved,” said Besana, adding Jari is being treated in an intensive care unit in a Zamboanga hospital.

Daily Express also broke the news on the rescue of Jari’s Indonesian colleague, Heri Ardiansyah, 19, and the death of another, Hariadin, 45, in waters off the same Sulu island.

A message from Besana to Daily Express late Friday evening said Philippine troops had recovered both Indonesians after a clash with their Abu Sayyaf captors at sea.

“Military troops rescued two Indonesian hostages following a gunfight that neutralised three Abu Sayyaf militants in the waters off Simisa Island in Banguingui, Sulu, this afternoon (April 5),” said the message.

“Troops from the Philippine Marine Ready Fleet Sulu rescued Indonesian captives Heri Ardiansyah and Hariadin after engaging three Abu Sayyaf militants under Najir Arik at 5.45pm today.”

“Hariadin died due to drowning [as he was] a weak swimmer.”

The message further said the Marines engaged the militants and the captives tried to swim across the channel towards Bangalao Island when they were spotted by roving sea patrols.  

“The 10-minute gun battle further resulted in the deaths of three Abu Sayyaf militants and the seizure of several high-powered firearms, including two M14 rifles, two M16 rifles and an M203 grenade launcher,” said the message.

“The two captives will be brought to the headquarters of the Western Mindanao Command in Camp Navarro, Zamboanga City.

“Westmincom Commander Lieutenant General Arnel Dela Vega said marine troops constricted the Abu Sayyaf’s movement with all-out offensives launched to pound terrorists on the said island.”

Besana also told Daily Express on Sunday that the Indonesian Consul was in Zamboanga to process the expatriation of the hostage who survived.


Other News

Follow Us  

Follow us on            

Sabah Top Stories