HEADLINES :




Suspect arrested over death threat against Sarawak customs officer
Published on: Monday, November 30, 2020
By: Bernama
Text Size:


File photo for illustration: AFP
SIBU: The prime suspect involved in issuing a death threat against a senior Royal Malaysian Customs Department officer in Kuching was arrested in Sungai Merah here today, said Sarawak Deputy Police Commissioner Datuk Fisol Salleh.

He said the 35-year-old man was arrested when he surrendered at the Sungai Merah police station at about 9.10 am.

Police had been looking for him since Friday after one of the three suspects nabbed earlier admitted to having been paid RM500 by the prime suspect to deliver the death threat note with two rounds of live ammunition.

“We will apply for a remand order against the suspect tomorrow and after that escort him to Kuching for further investigation,” Fisol told a press conference at the Sibu district police headquarters.

He said the suspect, who tested positive for amphetamine and methamphetamine drugs, had been arrested before under the Prevention of Crime Act (POCA) 1959 and had a string of criminal records.

With his arrest, the case is now considered closed, Fisol said.

The 53 year-old senior customs officer had lodged a report at the Gita police station in Kuching on Nov 26 after receiving a brown envelope containing a white envelope with “DEATH” written on it in red ink, two live bullets together with a note - “GOT TWO BULLET, ONE LONG ONE SHORT, WHICH ONE YOU WANT”  -written on it.

The envelope was delivered to the officer’s house in Taman Perumahan, Jalan Matang here.

Following the report, police arrested three locals, aged between 35 and 39, in connection with the death threat.

The suspects are believed to have made the threat against the senior officer for leading a special operation of the department in Kuching in early November.

“We look at this kind of case very seriously, especially when it comes to threatening a civil servant with live bullets,” said Fisol.

Meanwhile, Fisol said in view of the COVID-19 pandemic, Sarawak police would not seek reinforcement from other contingents for the next state election, which is expected to be held next year.



ADVERTISEMENT


Other News
Advertisement 


Follow Us  



Follow us on            





National Top Stories